Add a little crunch to your day with our mind-blowing recreation of Planet Hollywood’s Cap’n Crunch Chicken. A tantalizing combination of sweet, golden crunchy Captain Crunch cereal and crispy cornflakes that coat tender chicken strips for a perfect, foolproof fried chicken recipe that will have you saying, “crunch-a-tize me cap’n,” with every bite!
Captain Crunch Chicken Recipe
- 12 whole chicken tenders (strips)
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 2 cups Cap’n Crunch Cereal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- canola oil, for frying
- Combine the cornflakes and Cap’n Crunch cereal in a deep plate or shallow bowl. Using the back of a cup or bowl crush the cereal until fine. Set aside.
- In a medium shallow bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the two eggs until the yolks and whites are blended. Set aside.
- Next, heat a 1/4 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil is warming, prepare your chicken strips. Start by dredging the chicken strips in the flour, then quickly dipping in the egg mixture, and then coat with crushed cereal.
- Carefully place the chicken in the hot oil. Cook the strips in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. We recommend a tangy Creole Mustard Sauce (recipe follows). Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Bake Cap’n Crunch Chicken In The Oven Instead Of Frying?
Of course! Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and coat with cooking spray. Prepare the chicken as you would for frying, and then line the chicken on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and crispy. Serve warm with favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Can I Air Fry Cap’n Crunch Chicken?
Sure! Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. Prepare the chicken as you would for frying, then place your chicken in the air fryer. Be careful not to overcrowd the basket. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and crispy. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Creole Mustard Sauce
The sweet and savory flavors of Cap’n Crunch chicken is great on its own, but it’s even better with the right dipping sauce. To help balance the sugar from the cereal coating, a tangy sauce with just a bit of herbaceousness and bite will really take the dish to the next level.
We recommend dipping your homemade Cap’n Crunch Chicken in Planet’s Hollywood’s creamy creole mustard sauce for an out-of-this-world combo!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Creole-style mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, mix well. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.