Nothing beats a warm homemade chocolate chip cookie, baked fresh from the oven! These soft, chewy classics will stand the test of time and are destined to always be a favorite go-to dessert for cookie lovers for years to come.
Since its debut in 1938, the chocolate chip cookie recipe has seen countless variations. Our show-stopping copycat Gideon’s Bakehouse chocolate chip cookie recipe is merely one adaption! But it may be one of the very best.
Gideon’s Bakehouse, located in Orlando, Florida, is home to these stunningly self-indulgent treats. Gideon’s cookies weigh in at half a pound each! Every inch of the cookie’s surface is covered in chocolate morsels, giving each cookie its remarkably decadent chocolate flavor. Thankfully, you can now prepare these extraordinary chocolate chip cookies in your kitchen with our easy to follow recipe!
Copycat Gideon’s Bakehouse Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chocolate chips, divided
- sea salt flakes (for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Cube the butter into small cubes. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars for approximately 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Place a sieve over a large bowl. Pour the cake and bread flours into the sieve and sift. Add the sifted flours to the batter in the standing mixer bowl. Add the cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Using a wooden spoon and your hands, incorporate the chocolate chips into the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Next, pour 4 cups of chocolate chips in a large bowl. Set aside. Remove the chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Using your hands shape the batter into large dough balls. Cover the entire surface of the dough ball with chocolate chips, careful to keep its spherical shape.
- Place six dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack. Sprinkle each chocolate chip cookie with sea salt flakes, to taste. Enjoy!
Our copycat Gideon’s Bakehouse chocolate chip cookies are not your ordinary dessert. They are jam-packed with chocolate chips and covered in them from top to bottom–a chocolate lover’s dream. The cookies are finished off with a light sprinkling of sea salt. Even though the extra layer of chocolate morsels make this cookie genuinely unique in both taste and appearance, feel free to live life to your tastes by omitting them or combining another ingredient for additional flavor. Here are a few ideas to inspire your next batch of cookies:
- dried cranberries (soak any dried fruits in hot water before adding to cookie dough; soaking dried fruits prevents them from causing your mixture from becoming dry)
- coffee grounds or espresso powder (coffee adds depth and intensifies chocolate)
- melted chocolate (dip baked cookies in melted chocolate)