An article in People magazine describing Salma Hayek’s Red Table conversation in which she shares that menopause seems to be causing her breasts to grow larger brought me a lot of joy this morning, so I wanted to share it with you (although I am also sensitive to the fact that she says her back suffers because of the larger size). The People article also featured a video interview of Hayek with her adorable pet owl, which was the icing on the cake. Happy Friday.
Sheryl Sandberg appears twice in our news roundup this week. With her organization Lean In, along with Noon, an editorial website and online community created to support women at midlife, she helped spearhead a survey on how menopause affects women’s careers.
Sandberg is also front and center in the Forbes “50 Women Over 50 list”. First, can we just take a moment to revel in how wonderful it is that at Forbes 50 over 50 for women exists? But we still have a long way to go, which is made clear by the Lean In/Noon survey results: 71 percent of women believe being older will count against them at work, and half experienced sexism and ageism during menopause.
And one more note about this week’s roundup: Liv Garfield, chief executive officer of British water utility Severn Trent Plc, says that mentioning menopause at least once every week at work makes conversations about the topic less awkward. Maybe if we say it more we can speed things up a bit.
- Understanding Women’s Midlife Weight Gain [Noon]
- Forbes 50 Women Over 50 [Forbes]
- The New Old Stacy London [InStyle]
- Four Studies Explore Women’s Brains And Heart Health During Midlife [National Institutes of Health]
- Some People Flip Real Estate. I Flip Men [The New York Times]
- Why Some Women Develop Psychosis At Midlife [Psychology Today]
- Many Women Exit Workforce For A Little Talked About Reason [Bloomberg]
- Is Menopause Still Driving Women Out Of The Workforce? [Washington Post]
- Could A Longer Reproductive Period Put Women At Greater Risk For Alzheimer’s Disease? [EurekAlert]
- Women’s Reproductive Years May Be Increasing, Study Says [Stanford Health]
- ‘At Facebook I Was Middle-Aged At 35:’ Sheryl Sandberg Shares How ‘Silicon Valley Worships Youth’ [The Daily Mail]
- Everything You Need To Know About Menopause, From Women Who Have Been There [Yahoo]
- Salma Hayek Says Her Boobs Just Keep Getting Bigger During Menopause (Also She Has A Pet Owl) [People]
- Menopause: Speaking Up To End The Stigma [BBC]
- The Surprising Good News On How Menopause Changes Your Brain [Wall Street Journal]
- Hot Flashes, Anxiety, And More: Why Menopause Is Getting More Attention [Vox]
- What 4 Women Wish They’d Known About Menopause [Prevention]
- In Conversation: What Everyone Should Know About Menopause [Medical News Today]
- The Best Menopause Apps To Download Now [Yahoo]